Zeytinyagli Yer Elmasi (Earth Apples in Olive Oil)
This recipe was created and submitted by Toronto-based foodie and 100km Market customer, Mey Westlake!
We love having recipes submitted and seeing how different people have been using local 100km ingredients into create truly unique dishes that tell a story about who they are and where they come from.
This is one of Mey's family recipes, a traditional Turkish dish that showcases potato, carrots and Jerusalem artichokes!
Just as the French call potatoes pomme de terre, in Turkey Jerusalem artichokes are called "earth apples", as they are grown under the earth and they have a sweet delicate flavour reminiscent of an apple!
This recipe is great for spring BBQ's because it is served cold or at room temperature as a side dish and has a delicious, fresh taste!
If you purchased our Organic Box this week, you already have several of the ingredients needed to make this recipe!
- 1lb Cookstown Jerusalem Artichokes
- 2-3 Hillside Gardens carrots
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato
- 1 medium Hillside Gardens red onion
- 1/3 bunch organic dill (approximately 10 springs of dill)
- 1-2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Vancouver Isalnd sea salt (additional to taste)
- 1/2 organic lemon
- 1. Peel potato, carrots and Jerusalem Artichokes
- 2. Chop your potato into 1-inch cubes, your carrots into small coins and your Jerusalem artichokes into large coins.
- 3. Next, you want to sweat your onions. Chop your onion finely sauté them in olive oil and tomato paste until onions are slightly translucent.
- 4. Add your potatoes and carrots and sauté for another 10 minutes until the veg are tender.
- 5. Add your Jerusalem artichokes, 2 cups of water and 1/2 of the chopped dill and salt.
- 6. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to simmer and cover. Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes until fork easily pierces through each piece.
- 7. Pour into a serving dish and garnish with the remaining dill and squeeze lemon on top. Serve and enjoy!