Mother's Day Breakfast in Bed Frittata!
New to the frittata world? A frittata is simply a baked egg dish made from whisked eggs, usually complimented with a variety of vegetables, cheeses and meats! Typically the dish starts cooking on the stovetop and is finished in the oven in an oven safe skillet (such as a cast iron). A frittata is the perfect breakfast in bed friendly dish for Mom on Mother's Day. A frittata cooks fast, can be made in one pan (no dishes!), can be customized with anything in your fridge, makes for great leftovers and is always delicious!
To make this recipe, you only need one Breakfast Box from The Market at 100km Foods. However, you might also want to shop our produce boxes and add-ons for vegetables, cheeses and proteins that you might want to add to your frittata.
A Few Suggestions to Add to Your Frittata:
- 1 Dozen Eggs, Homestead Farms
- 3 tbsp 2% Milk, Harmony Organics
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 10 strips Double Smoked Bacon, Seed to Sausage
- 1 x Pack Goat Cheese 113g, Mariposa Dairy
1. Preheat your oven to 425 F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together your eggs and milk until light and frothy. Add salt and pepper and whisk to combine. (It's important to make sure you season your eggs before adding them to your skillet!)
3. Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. You can also use any oven safe frying pan. If you don't have an oven safe frying pan, you can transfer your frittata mix to a baking dish to cook.
4. Add chopped bacon and cook until bacon is crispy but not burnt (about 5 minutes). Transfer the smoked bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool.
5. Drain the excess bacon grease from the pan, leaving about 1 tbsp (you don't need to measure - just enough to coat the bottom of the pan!)
6. Return your skillet to heat and add half the bacon back. Pour eggs over the bacon and stir to combine. Let the eggs cook for about 1 minute, until starting to set around the edges. Crumble your goat cheese over and top with the remaining bacon.
7. * IMPORTANT: If you're baking your frittata in a baking dish, do not add the eggs to the skillet. Instead, pour your whisked eggs into a lightly greased baking dish (approximately 8 to 10 inches in diameter). Drop crumbled goat cheese and bacon on top.
8. Bake the frittata in the oven until the eggs are puffy and there are no liquid spots on top (be careful not to overcook it!). This should take 8 to 15 minutes in a skillet; 14 to 20 minutes in a baking dish. (Note: The cook time varies a bit based on the type of pan you're using and the ingredients in the frittata so just keep an eye on it while it bakes and pull it out of the oven as soon as you see that there are no runny spots and the frittata is firm.)
9. Rest the frittata for 5 minutes at room temperature, then slice and enjoy!
Serve with a nice hot cup of ChocoSol Oaxaca coffee and a side of Fisherville's mini-melon (both included in the Breakfast Box).
You can also add a box of Delight Mother's Day chocolates to sweeten her day!
Did you try this recipe? We want to see your finished product! Tag us on Instagram @100kmfoods and @themarketat100kmfoods!